Not sure what to bring to a Halloween party? Meringue ghost Halloween cookies are adorable and easy! You don’t need to spend hours on decadent festive cookies. Follow the elves’ recipe for some boo-rrific treats. Cooking with the Annalee elves typically involves sugar (it’s perhaps their all-time favorite food), and this favorite recipe is no exception. These sweet swirls of egg whites are studded with candy eyes to make a festive Halloween treat.
This recipe makes about 20 ghosts. It only take about 15 minutes to get in the oven and then bakes for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Meringue Ghost Halloween Cookie Recipe
4 Large Egg Whites
1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tarter
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (Clear vanilla)
Candy for Eyes / Mouth (Melting some chocolate chips is an easy option!)
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or alternative.
2. In a large bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until frothy. We recommend a medium speed!
3. Slowly add the sugar (make sure the elves don’t steal it) and increase mixer to medium-high. It should take 5-7 minutes to get egg whites to form stiff peaks.
4. Spoon meringue into piping bag. You will want a round tip to make these! Pipe swirls of meringue onto prepared baking sheet. (Secret Elf Knowledge: Depending on what you use for the eyes you can add them before or after baking!)
5. Bake for 90 minutes or until the meringues are dry and crisp to the touch. Turn off the oven and allow the meringue ghosts to continue to dry in the oven for several hours before serving. (If you are using melted chocolate – paint on those eyes!)
6. These meringue ghost cookies should keep just fine for 3 days at room temperature!